When researching pros and cons of 15-second spots versus 30-second spots, media researchers and advertisers have found the following:
CONS of :15 Units
- Research proves recall for a :15 spot is LOWER than that of a :30 spot. The difference is over 30% for product categories and 20% for brand recall/specific brands. Other research shows the recall of a :15 commercial spot to be up to 77% lower than that of a :30 commercial spot. (Source: MidAtlantic Journal of Business Research Study)
- The number of :15 spots in a commercial pod did NOT affect recall. (Source: MidAtlantic Journal of Business Research Study)
- Standard unit length on television is 30 seconds. This means there is an increased chance of preemptions when running other duration units such as 15-second spots.
- If a station is sold out, the advertiser would be required to pay the “bump” rate for a :30 unit, regardless of unit length being ony 15 seconds.
- :15 units are priced at a premium
PROS of :15 Units
- :15 units may be used as bookends and to increase frequency. Research does not indicate increased frequency increases recall.
- :15 units are affective for branding and imaging.
At the end of the day, there are both pros and cons to running :15’s instead of :30’s. Be sure if you make this step that you have read the information carefully and know what message you are trying to communicate.
John Paul Strong
John Paul Strong combines his two decades of automotive marketing experience with a team of more than 140 professionals as owner and CEO of Strong Automotive.