Happy New Year! And time again if you are so inclined to make New Year Resolutions for personal improvement. I recently read a definition that said New Year’s Resolutions were “a to-do list for the first week of January.”
Here is a 25 week plan presented by Earl Nightingale. Who? Earl was one of America’s most recognized motivational speakers and commentator on life in hundreds of radio programs. A unique man, Earl was one of 12 surviving Marines aboard the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor; he was also the radio voice of “Sky King” over 50 years ago.
In one radio broadcast, Earl discussed the characteristics of creative people including Socrates, da Vinci, Einstein, etc. He listed 25 characteristics and suggested writing each one on a card, arranging them in order from weakest to strongest, and for the next 25 weeks, focus on one characteristic for one week:
- Knowledge (a thirst for more)
- Good health (physical and mental)
- Judgment – gathering facts first and understanding them
- Chance taker
- Dynamic – energetic
- Enterprising – opportunity seeker
- Good communicator – verbally skilled
- Patient with others – impatient with self
- Perfection – seeking highest quality from self
- Sense of humor
- Individualistic – do it their own way
- Realist/Idealist – grounded in reality – driven by ideals
In 25 weeks we will each be 25 weeks older. We can be just 25 weeks older or we can be 25 weeks older and a little better and wiser — now that’s a worthy resolution. Keep you posted.
John Paul Strong
John Paul Strong combines his two decades of automotive marketing experience with a team of more than 140 professionals as owner and CEO of Strong Automotive.